Chinmaya Vidya Nagari
CVN is a visionary project conceived as a dedication to Pujya Gurudev Swami Chinmayananda to mark the centenary of his birth in 2016, and serves as a place and space to practice the supreme knowledge of Advaita Vedanta studied in Chinmaya Mission in a conducive residential environment. It is located in a peaceful, yet accessible part of the UK within travelling distance of London, and close to the historic city of Oxford.
This is a Chinmaya Mission UK project. CVN was initiated with the blessings of the former head of Chinmaya Mission worldwide, Pujya Guruji Swami Tejomayananda, on July 4th 2012.
The vision of Chinmaya Vidya Nagari is to promote the inner transformation of spiritual seekers through the study of Advaita Vedanta, its intense application in an enabling residential environment, invoking an inner harmony leading to a balanced and joyous relationship with the world.
Enabling the Seeking of the Supreme Knowledge
CVN provides a perfect environment for individuals from any background to learn, reflect and practice the principles of Advaita Vedanta. It offers a place of retreat for reflection, contemplation, service and personal spiritual development.
- Impart the teaching of Advaita Vedanta and its practical application in daily life for all ages and seekers from all backgrounds.
- Create a residential and experiential retreat centre for those inspired and willing to serve on a short and long-term basis.
- Create a ‘Chinmaya Mission Global’ campus that is accessible to spiritual seekers in Europe, US, Canada, Africa and the Middle East.
- Promote the academic study and reflection of Advaita Vedanta through seminars and conferences.
- A unique living environment for immersing oneself in a ‘sattvic’ spiritual lifestyle through study, contemplation, discussion and seva
- Residential spiritual retreats and workshops
- Courses, workshops and lectures by eminent professionals, academics and business leaders
- Communal seva, encouraging working together in true yajna spirit
CVN PLANNED FACILITIES
- Residential complex: contemporary rooms will provide comfortable on-site accommodation
- A permanent infrastructure to conduct spiritual camps for large groups
- Library of spiritual literature
- Lecture hall
- Landscaped paces for contemplation, meditation and yoga, and a unique meditation hall/space
GUIDELINES FOR CHINMAYA VIDYA NAGARI EVENTS AND RETREATS
In the bustle of our daily life, we often do not have an opportunity to translate the knowledge we have listened to and reflected upon into practical experience. Chinmaya Vidya Nagari is a place where there is space, time and opportunity for intense practice which is invaluable for inner change. The experience of a moment can be worth a hundred of theory. In order to get the most out of your stay at Chinmaya Vidya Nagari, we offer these guidelines:
MAINTAINING CONSTANT AWARENESS
This requires you to become aware of both the internal and external environments. It is like the radar that sweeps 360 degrees and is aware of what is going on in the total airspace. This is useful because if there is awareness of what is within and without us, there is a much greater likelihood of becoming effective in navigating yourself in the spiritual dimension.
MAINTAINING CONSTANT ALERTNESS
You have reflected on the higher knowledge and have an idea of what it means to live it. If you are aware of what is going on within and outside, you will be able to detect the gap between what the knowledge has informed you and what you are aware of right now. For example, we have learnt that control of the senses is required for spiritual development. If you are aware at this moment that the senses are getting carried away, you become alert at once and attend to this immediately.
MAINTAINING FOCUSED ATTENTION
Focused attention is a major goal of many spiritual traditions as it means an effective way of managing yourself. Such an attention is like a laser beam cutting through all irrelevant things. This capacity is used all the time but to varying degrees in your day to day activities. At Chinmaya Vidya Nagari, you maintain focused attention on whatever you are doing to the exclusion of everything else.
ACTIONS WITH AWARENESS, ALERTNESS AND ATTENTION
When the four ‘A’s are there, you can become effective in translating the knowledge into action. You begin to develop and experience the consciousness which is important for the inner change at Chinmaya Vidya Nagari.
Name: Dr. Ramesh Pattni
Tel: 020 8203 6288